Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
Does acupuncture help seasonal allergies?
A: Yes, acupuncture and Chinese medicine have effectiveness in treating seasonal allergies. You may want to follow up with immune system strengthening tips to prevent reoccurring infections.
Here are some tips for clearing up allergies:
1. Irrigate your nose with saline (warm salt water) twice daily.
2. Reduce the allergy-load on your body by avoiding mucus-producing foods like dairy, wheat, and sugar.
3. Take a bee pollen supplement and the herb stinging nettle.
4. Use an air purifier in the workspace, as well as at home.
5. Exercise indoors with filtered air.
6. Drink 8-12 glasses of water daily.
Strategies for a stronger immune system:
1. Keep stress low by practicing meditation, tai chi, or yoga.
2. Maintain a positive and uplifting attitude.
3. Eat lots of garlic, ginger, cilantro, and oregano.
Contact a licensed acupuncturist to determine proper course of treatment.
You may find the herbal supplements “Allergy Tamer”, “Immunity”, and “Perpetual Shield” helpful in temporarily relieving your allergy symptoms and strengthening your immune system. Of course, discuss with your physician before beginning any new health regime.