Exercises to do for chronic lower back pain?

Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
My boyfriend is very tall and has had chronic lower back pain for over a year. He has always been physically active and is not overweight. We eat very healthy. He will begin seeing a Chinese doctor and acupuncturist soon. Is there anything else we should be doing?

A: You are on the right track. Not withstanding any major spinal problems, which can be easily diagnosed with a physician, a proper diagnosis and treatment from a licensed acupuncturist can help. I would also suggest that perhaps your boyfriend take up less strenuous martial arts practice. Qigong or tai chi exercise routines produce the same amount of physical activity, but are much more forgiving on the joints and in some cases may even help with the healing.

You may find these specially formulated Traditions of Tao products helpful for lower back pain: “Arthritis/Joint”, “DuraBone”, and “Muscle Strength”. Of course, discuss with your physician before beginning any new health regime.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Buzz
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • email
This entry was posted in Back and Shoulder Pain, Exercise and Fitness, Q&A.