Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
I am carrying around a lot of weight leftover from a pregnancy; I gave birth over a year ago. What can I do to lose the weight? Are there herbs I can take to accelerate the healing of my body?
A: Pregnancy and delivery are very taxing on the female body and deplete it of blood and vital energy (qi). It is essential to supplement blood and qi immediately after delivery. Your excess weight is also a result of depleted qi, which is unable to properly metabolize the energy.
I suggest the following:
1. Consult with your primary physician to make sure your delivery process did not injure the uterus and to rule out fibroids. Also have them conduct thyroid panel tests to ensure you are not suffering from hypothyroid condition. For the excess weight I would suggest the following,
2. Avoid the fad diets and fast-acting solutions that guarantee incredible weight loss while you watch television and eat deserts.
3. Eat five times per day, a quarter of the portion that you were originally consuming per meal. Your last meal of the day should be no later than 7 PM.
4. Eliminate sugars and increase your water intake to 60 ounces per day. Keep dairy to a minimum. Instead of drinking coffee, drink green tea. Also, you can drink a tea made from boiling a lemon (with the peel).
5. Eat more complex carbohydrates and ample quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid fatty foods, processed or fried foods, and sodas.
6. Walk 30 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening, two hours before bed. For toning you might replace one of the walks with some stretching with activities such as tai chi or a mild form of yoga.
Additionally, you may try the following products from the Traditions of Tao to supplement your new weight-loss plan: “Abundant Energy” and the “B-Slim” herbal formulas. Of course, discuss with your physician before beginning any new health regime.