Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
Is there a natural way to help my hot flashes?
A: Hot flashes, especially those associated with menopause, respond well to acupuncture and Chinese herbal formulations. I suggest that you consult a licensed practitioner to determine the proper course of treatment; you can locate a practitioner at www.acupuncture.com
In the mean time try this:
1. Avoid stress, tension, and stimulants including coffee, spicy foods, alcohol, and tobacco.
2. Incorporate more black beans, sesame seeds, soybeans, walnuts, lycii berries, mulberries, yams, licorice, Chinese black dates, lotus seeds, and chrysanthemum flowers.
3. Make tea from chrysanthemum flowers and cassia seeds. Drink this three times daily.
4. Steam a chicken with lycii berries and yam.
5. Roast sesame seeds and then add them to rice porridge for breakfast.
You may also find these specifically formulated Traditions of Tao products helpful for hot flash treatment: “Hot Flash ” and “Passages Plus”. Of course, discuss with your physician before beginning any new health regime.