Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
Is there any natural treatment for mosquito bites?
A: Here are some natural mosquito repellants:
1. Mint leaves and the oil from mint leaves
2. The milky latex of dandelions
3. Mix equal parts (1/2 teaspoon) eucalyptus, citronella and lavender essential oils with 4 ounces of witch hazel. Pour into a spray bottle and spray onto skin, avoiding eyes and mucous membranes.
To soothe the itch from mosquito bites:
1. Use aloe. You can find aloe vera gel in drug stores and health food stores. Be sure to look for 100% pure aloe vera. You can also keep an aloe plant at home. Cut the leaf, dig out the gel with a knife, and apply it directly to the irritated skin. It will provide fast, soothing relief.
2. Vinegar will alleviate the sting.
3. Apply tea tree oil.
4. Once bitten, apply fresh lemon juice to the bite. Use as much lemon juice as needed to soak the area completely. It may sting just a little bit, but the lemon juice will begin the healing process.