Q: Dear Dr. Mao,
What can I do about this constipation that I have had for my whole life?
A: Constipation has many forms. There may be fecal impaction, difficulty defecating, lack of fluids, or other origins and causes. It would be a good idea to consult a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) doctor to determine the proper diagnosis.
In the meantime, I have the following recommendations:
1. Avoid stress, tension, spicy foods, fried foods, and meat.
2. Start eating more apples, walnuts, figs, spinach, peaches, pears, pine nuts, sesame seeds, azuki beans, apricot kernel, yogurt, beets, cabbage, and honey. Fresh green vegetables are also recommended.
3. Eat three green apples per day.
4. Drink at least 60 ounces of room temperature of water per day.
5. Eat three dried prunes before bed.
6. Drink blended beets and cabbage juice before bed.